Skip to main content

workboxes revisited


When I first "discovered" workboxes Don said no way can we have 108 plastic shoe boxes and 9 racks floating around the house. I really wanted to try this and loved the look of the Trofast system I saw on the yahoo group but didn't want to spend the money for a possible maybe. I am an organizing junky. I have spent hundreds of dollars if not thousands on organizing books, systems, baskets etc. I was skeptical but I kept hearing rave reviews. So....... I bought a cheap coat rack and some shoe organizers and tried it out for a few of the kids.


I loved loved loved the system, but hated hated hated the shoe rack it was weak and kept toppling over. After brainstorming with Don and explaining to him how effective this system is he caved in and bought the Trofast system. I just wanted a more permanent rack to hang my system from but Don was sure there was something that looked neater so I was forced to show him the Trofast system at Ikea.

I originally thought this system would help with the littlest ones keeping them constructively occupied and with Ben to help him to learn to stay on task. What I discovered was that it did so much more than that. We never hunted for missing books, we knew just where we left off and what was undone.

While this did not help with the dawdling, which is what the author promised, it has helped with things like I didn't know what I was supposed to do next, I can't find my book, I don't have..... In the last box I usually leave a lollipop or hershey kiss or sometimes for Melaina, Ben and Joe a box of brownies to be made. There is incentive to get to that last box for sure. Each box contains one thing (see cons below) and this can seem ridiculous but the value is huge. The work strip is where you add the extra things like train the dog, wii fit, practice music. My strips need some tweaking now that we have switched to Trofast so I hope to do this over the Thanksgiving holiday.

Pros to the System

The system has helped me to be more prepared, not skip activities or forget to do. It has helped me to make sure all the kids have completed their work for the day and hand out rewards and consequences accordingly. It has helped immensly with lost books!!!!! We use a modified system where they replace the book in the bin and not bring it to me. I could never check and reload those boxes every night. I only have 6 bins for the youngest three and the highschoolers. The highschoolers only have 6 subjects each and they only have 6 boxes. This helps with the space constraints.

Cons to the System

It is large and takes up a lot of space!!! I had to move all my books to the basement. This ended up being a pro because I think the books always looked like clutter to me. It was not the cure all to getting the kids to actually do the work. I still have to be the driving force to make sure they are moving through the boxes. Because of space constraints for the high schoolers I am sometimes putting more than one item in a bin. This can and has caused confusion. When I can figure out where to put two more systems and I get the finances to do so I will be getting two more. Being very busy I sometimes forget to add in the fun things or the extra things I really want them to do ie poetry memorization. I do not have time to do very many centers but I love the idea.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jordan Lee

Jordan Lee entered this world still on February 10, 2011 at 10:35 pm weighing 3 ounces and was 7 inches long. He was a perfectly formed baby boy. He was in his 16th week of pregnancy. This is his story. After his big brothers birth, his mom and dad wrestled with trusting God to bring more blessings. In April of 2010 they took a huge leap of faith and said yes to God. They began praying for him, asking God for a brother for his brothers and sisters to grow up with and to help teach him to serve and love one another and God. They discovered he was on the way on their 24 th Anniversary. They kept this little one a secret and struggled through fatigue and nausea waiting for the day it was safe to share the news. They were waiting for his mother’s first doctor’s appointment to confirm he was safe before sharing this joyous news. The plan was to begin doctor visits on February 1 st . On January 19 th his mother had some cramping and spotting. It was just once but ther

My curriculum picks for 2013/2014 for Middle School and Down

Phonics and Spelling: This year I am going to try All About Reading . I love All About Spelling and I have two more to teach phonics too. I have pieced together various phonics curriculums over the years. This seems to pull together all the phonics programs I love into one program. Grammar: I found and fell in love with Growing with Grammar for the under 8th grade crowd. From what I can tell from the younger grades Grammar takes 15 minutes or so while actually teaching for retention. I fully expect by high school Grammar it will be just a review “thing”. Writing: Another new pick for me this past year was Essentials in Writing . I have always been a hardcore Institute for Excellence in Writing fan for younger years and Format Writing by Jensen for high school. And while I still think they are fabulous, Essentials In Writing takes so much of the work from me. I used it just for the 1st grader but I am going full out Essentials in Writing next year! Math: I s

The Bible is not a self-help book

My dear sweet friend has invited me and my children to come once a week and study I Peter via video web cast. It is a church in Washington State, Mars Hill Church. www.marshillchurch.org. Anyway, he was speaking of the Old Testament being about Jesus and the New Testament being about Jesus. He reviewed many prophesies fulfilled and it was beautiful to be reminded of all that Jesus has done and will do. It is all about Jesus! Out of all the things he said the thing that struck me the most was that the Bible is not a self-help book. Big deal you say. Think about this. How many books in the Christian book store are self-help books. If you do this, you will get this result. If you have this problem read, pray and meditate on this verse, chapter, principle etc. The Bible is not some rule book. Follow the rules and you will get xyz. If you have this problem and follow this formula your results will be..... That is not to say that there is not instruction and warning and tho