Skip to main content

school needs/ideas for 2010/2011

I cannot believe the school year is coming to an end. We did not accomplish everything I wanted but I trust we accomplished what we needed. I missed all of the homeschool curriculum fairs this year because of time constraints. This is the first time in 15 years that I have missed a curriculum fair. 15 years ago I had my son so I was a little too busy to go.

Top on my wish list this year is Rosetta Stone Spanish.

So this year for math I need

Math U See Algebra I - three books - have one book
Math U See Epsilon - one book - check
Math U See Gamma - one book
Math U See Alpha - two books
My 3 high schoolers will be doubling up on math this year they are also taking a consumer math class at a co op.

I am still pondering Language Arts

I think we will be doing IEW for late elementary
and maybe Easy Grammar for the actual grammar
I really want All About Spelling - to round this out. I have IEW and Easy Grammar.
Of course Literature will be some good solid historical fiction to go with our History using Teaching the Classics by Adam and Missy Adams
I am totally unsure what I will dig up for my high schoolers

History/Music/Art/Health
For my elementary crowd KONOS for sure!!
For my high schoolers, I just do not know

Science
Apologia for the elementary crowd
Biology at a co op for my high schoolers

PE
Rebekah - cheerleading
Donny - football
Annah - soccer
Ben - ??
Josiah - baseball
Melaina - ??
Noah - ??

and for the most important subject of all ::::: drum roll please::::::::
Precept Upon Precept
I think we will do Sermon on the Mount.

Fleshing this all out in black and white has been helpful. I want to do it ALL but can't.

Comments

Acts 2 said…
Hi Sherri,

It was so nice to have met you last night. I told my husband that if it wasn't for the kids, I could have sat for another hour hearing what you had to share about KONOS and homeschooling. The more I think about the cirriculum, the more I want to use it. But as I sat looking at their website and sharing with my husband what it looked like, he pointed out something I wasn't aware of.. the cirriculum doesn't have the 2 key subjects needed in early elementary which is reading/phonics and math. Now I see you do Math U See but what do you do for reading? Did I miss it on your schedule post? I'd love to find something similar to KONOS for both these subjects, any suggestions? Thanks again for your input! I look forward to chatting with you again!

Laura

Popular posts from this blog

Jordan Lee

Jordan Lee entered this world still on February 10, 2011 at 10:35 pm weighing 3 ounces and was 7 inches long. He was a perfectly formed baby boy. He was in his 16th week of pregnancy. This is his story. After his big brothers birth, his mom and dad wrestled with trusting God to bring more blessings. In April of 2010 they took a huge leap of faith and said yes to God. They began praying for him, asking God for a brother for his brothers and sisters to grow up with and to help teach him to serve and love one another and God. They discovered he was on the way on their 24 th Anniversary. They kept this little one a secret and struggled through fatigue and nausea waiting for the day it was safe to share the news. They were waiting for his mother’s first doctor’s appointment to confirm he was safe before sharing this joyous news. The plan was to begin doctor visits on February 1 st . On January 19 th his mother had some cramping and spotting. It was just once but ther

My curriculum picks for 2013/2014 for Middle School and Down

Phonics and Spelling: This year I am going to try All About Reading . I love All About Spelling and I have two more to teach phonics too. I have pieced together various phonics curriculums over the years. This seems to pull together all the phonics programs I love into one program. Grammar: I found and fell in love with Growing with Grammar for the under 8th grade crowd. From what I can tell from the younger grades Grammar takes 15 minutes or so while actually teaching for retention. I fully expect by high school Grammar it will be just a review “thing”. Writing: Another new pick for me this past year was Essentials in Writing . I have always been a hardcore Institute for Excellence in Writing fan for younger years and Format Writing by Jensen for high school. And while I still think they are fabulous, Essentials In Writing takes so much of the work from me. I used it just for the 1st grader but I am going full out Essentials in Writing next year! Math: I s

Brain Cells

Josiah (11) total left brain. This looks identical to the one he was shown. Ben, age 12 (learning delayed) When snapping the picture of his cell. He hollared "wait, I think it blinked" Then of course he laughted hysterically. Ben is definitely right brained. Melaina is 9 and is left brained. While her brain cell was not detailed her explanation sure was. On our journey I have learned so much about my children. One of my favorite things about Konos is observing my children. By nature I like to jump in and take over and I like things done just so. Left brained I guess. But by sitting back and observing and letting my kids do the work they learn so much more and I learn about them. What they think, how they tick, there sense of humor. The three brain cells my kids made were a true reflection of their personalities. They each took their time and were serious about their project. The younger kids (1st, K and preK) did not participate in this. They were busy making ta