Skip to main content
O is for Octopus

I love My Father's World Kindergarten curriculum.  It makes me sad that I only have one more opportunity to go through it again.  I love this age to school.  Eager, cuddly, lapsitters, wanting to please and eating up praise like M&M's.  



The trick with kindergarten is to know when to push a little further or to give up for the day and let them learn by doing their own things.

I am a big proponent of children being bored.  Some of my best childhood memories come from being bored out of my ever loving mind.

I fondly remember laying on my bed in 1000 degree plus weather reading a book in front of the window.  We didn't have air conditioning and we survived.  I remember hopping off that bed and making weird noises in the giant commercial fan that attempted to cool the upstairs bedrooms.   I also have great memories of building sheet forts with my brothers and riding my bike for hours.  No kidding hours.

Aliyah loves school. Well maybe not math.  She dislikes the number 15.  So we have started calling this poor  forgotten number five teen.   At 5 she still has not nailed down counting to 100 or all of the alphabet.  No worries she is too busy being a princess.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freedom

As our American freedoms, according to the constitution, are being run over, altered, and outright dismissed one must remember these are not the freedoms God has promised us. I sometimes despair as I watch our freedoms being eroded little by little and sometimes in big chunks. I watch our media (television, social and advertising) spreading propaganda on all sides and I am disheartened. America is founded on freedom and our emotions and beliefs get tangled up in this freedom. Our national anthem has brought tears to my eyes on the idealistic image of a nation that loves and serves God. However, America is made up of imperfect people who sin and need to repent. The Word of God doesn't teach community repentance, the Word doesn't teach national repentance, and the Word doesn't teach American freedom. The word teaches individual repentance and surrender to the King of Kings and Lord of Lord, the triune God, THE Creator of heaven and earth. Isaiah 9:6 says "For a child

My curriculum picks for 2013/2014 for Middle School and Down

Phonics and Spelling: This year I am going to try All About Reading . I love All About Spelling and I have two more to teach phonics too. I have pieced together various phonics curriculums over the years. This seems to pull together all the phonics programs I love into one program. Grammar: I found and fell in love with Growing with Grammar for the under 8th grade crowd. From what I can tell from the younger grades Grammar takes 15 minutes or so while actually teaching for retention. I fully expect by high school Grammar it will be just a review “thing”. Writing: Another new pick for me this past year was Essentials in Writing . I have always been a hardcore Institute for Excellence in Writing fan for younger years and Format Writing by Jensen for high school. And while I still think they are fabulous, Essentials In Writing takes so much of the work from me. I used it just for the 1st grader but I am going full out Essentials in Writing next year! Math: I s

Jordan Lee

Jordan Lee entered this world still on February 10, 2011 at 10:35 pm weighing 3 ounces and was 7 inches long. He was a perfectly formed baby boy. He was in his 16th week of pregnancy. This is his story. After his big brothers birth, his mom and dad wrestled with trusting God to bring more blessings. In April of 2010 they took a huge leap of faith and said yes to God. They began praying for him, asking God for a brother for his brothers and sisters to grow up with and to help teach him to serve and love one another and God. They discovered he was on the way on their 24 th Anniversary. They kept this little one a secret and struggled through fatigue and nausea waiting for the day it was safe to share the news. They were waiting for his mother’s first doctor’s appointment to confirm he was safe before sharing this joyous news. The plan was to begin doctor visits on February 1 st . On January 19 th his mother had some cramping and spotting. It was just once but ther