Skip to main content

Burn Baby Burn


Burn baby burn

About a week ago Donny burned himself on the dirt bike. He was jumping the ramp and came in for a crash landing and the hot tailpipe seared his leg. At this point, in my best motherly tone, I must point out that he was not obeying one of our three safety rules. He was wearing shorts. This burn was about two inches wide and 6 to 7 inches long. I am freaking out thinking I should take him to the doctors and Donny assures me it will be fine it has a nice white blister on it. He straps an ice pack to his burn and went outside to shoot some hoops. So when his father came home I asked him to take a look and see if he thought we should get it looked at. What was I thinking? This is the man who slices a ¼ inch deep chunk out of his arm and puts gauze on it and hopes for the best. Don assures me we will just keep it clean and all will be well. Sigh. So over the next few days Don helps Donny keep his wound clean but it is still oozing and not looking so hot so I broke down and called the doctors. Apparently it was trying to scab over before it was healing underneath so this kind doctor told Donny he must soak this open wound in salt water. I can’t even imagine how bad this must sting considering that when I go in the ocean water with a tiny tiny cut it burns terribly. So twice a day we rinse the wound with warm saline solution and put some of this antibiotic burn cream on his leg and it looks 1000% better. So the moral of this story is not to ask to tough guys what to do with an injury go with my maternal instincts and have a doctor take a look.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bible is not a self-help book

My dear sweet friend has invited me and my children to come once a week and study I Peter via video web cast. It is a church in Washington State, Mars Hill Church. www.marshillchurch.org. Anyway, he was speaking of the Old Testament being about Jesus and the New Testament being about Jesus. He reviewed many prophesies fulfilled and it was beautiful to be reminded of all that Jesus has done and will do. It is all about Jesus! Out of all the things he said the thing that struck me the most was that the Bible is not a self-help book. Big deal you say. Think about this. How many books in the Christian book store are self-help books. If you do this, you will get this result. If you have this problem read, pray and meditate on this verse, chapter, principle etc. The Bible is not some rule book. Follow the rules and you will get xyz. If you have this problem and follow this formula your results will be..... That is not to say that there is not instruction and warning and tho...

the worst thing he could think of

We were reviewing the Passover story and I asked what happened when the Pharoah refused to let the Isrealites go. Josiah yelled out. " oh, I know, he sent frogs, bugs, and carrots". Carrots!!! I just love moments like these.

I yearn for order, I love order, I crave order.

Messes seem to paralyze me. You would not guess this from the state of my house. (this is our sock and laundry pile) However, I am also a low key, not a high energy person mostly due to health issues and fatigue. So... I plan. I love to plan actually. I plan meals, I plan organizational ideas, I plan school, I plan to plan. My school year starts out with me reflecting on what I didn't like and did like about the last school year. There are some years I realize that we used a method or curriculum that is diametrically opposed to our homeschool philosophy. This past year is a good example of this reflection. For our family, workbooks aren't necessarily a good tool for us to learn, neither are lapbooks. This year I picked up a workbook for everything. I even had more than one for most subjects. Just the 3 R's took hours, retention was lower than I wanted and the fun Konos stuff tended to be left out in favor for, another workbook. So armed with ...